Sir Ken Robinson's lesson on creativity is a very interesting video that would be beneficial for any current or future teacher to view. Sir Ken Robinson discusses how creativity is being weeded out during education. Robinson makes the statement, "We don't grow into creativity, we grow out of it." He also states, "Creativity is as important as literacy."
As a future educator, I totally agree with Robinson's statement, "All kids have tremendous talents, and we squander them." It is my goal as a future teacher to encourage, not squander any of these talents. Another quote from the video that I really like is when Robinson said, "It is our job to help students make something of the future." I think part of my responsibility as an educator is to allow my students to use their creativity that comes so natural. We as educators must provide a creative environment in which students feel comfortable to express themselves. I leave you with one last quote from Sir Ken Robinson, "If you're not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with something original."
http://youtu.be/ga2CYYCrtNE
I enjoyed reading your post and it sounds like you will be a great teacher! I love your statement about allowing students to use their natural creativity and allowing them to express themselves. I think sometimes students try to change themselves in order to fit a certain mold. I liked Sir Robinson's quote about it being our job to help students make something of themselves. I really believe this to be true. In my opinion, I don't care if my students grow up to be janitors or doctors. I just want them to be successful in life and be able to provide for themselves and survive in this world. I don't think success is determined by a job, money, or social class. Success is about being happy, comfortable, and the character of a person.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post!